Monday, March 23, 2009

My 249 word essay as submitted

Hi All,

Please find below what I submitted for publication. Whether it gets published and how it looks in the end are now in the hands of the Newspaper Spirits.

==========

I am running for Town Meeting Representative in Precinct 5. Even though I pay attention to the newspapers, watch meetings on the cable access station, read the town’s website and have been known to go to meetings and ask a question or two at the microphone, I still don’t always feel I understand enough about what is happening in our town. I have the impression that a lot of other people feel the same way.

Some folks might think of me as just another “soccer mom” to four children. Yes, depending on the season, you could also call me a “scout mom” or a “swim mom” or “wrestling mom.” I do think one of Chelmsford’s great strengths is how personally involved parents are with their children.

I am also a person that believes in transparent and participative government. I think that our community at large needs to know more and to have more input into the process. I will continue to pay attention to what people are thinking about, to keep asking questions until I get answers, and to keep people informed about what I learn.

My promise is to form opinions on issues only after I have done the necessary research on the issue. I am keeping a blog about running and hopefully participating as a town meeting representative (http://chelmsfordprecinct5tmremm.blogspot.com/).

I hope I can have one of your votes for town meeting representative in Precinct 5 on Election Day.

Thank you,

Elaine MacDonald
15 Reid Road
http://chelmsfordprecinct5tmremm.blogspot.com/
Elaine.MacDonald@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment